Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Glee Does Gay, Straight, and Bi In "Duets"

It’s time for this week’s Glee rant.

Last night’s episode centered on a duet competition proposed by Mr. Schuester, the prize for which a coveted gift certificate to the crave-worthy Breadsticks restaurant (think Olive Garden). Each club member scrambled to find a partner that would lead them to victory, leading to some unexpected pairings and interesting duets.

Although one face in particular was missing from the bunch. Puck has been put in juvenile hall for driving his mom's Volvo into a convenience store and leaving with the ATM, and it’s unknown as to when he will return. When the cat’s away, the mice – or Cheerios – will play! With Puck gone, Santana got a little lonely and turned to Brittany for a little girl-on-girl action, saying about her sex drive, “I'm like a lizard. I need something warm beneath me or else I can't digest my food.”

Brittany and Santana sharing a moment.

However, Santana ditched the ditzy blond for resident diva Mercedes for a fabulous take on “River Deep, Mountain High.” Naya Rivera got to show off a vocal talent that I had underestimated until recently. I don’t know if she had voice lessons between seasons or if it was just a poor choice by the directors to keep her out of the spotlight, but she proved herself to be a capable singer – perhaps not the show-stopper duet partner Amber Riley is, but a voice I’d surely like to hear more from as the season progresses.

The belting beauties.

The abandoned Brittany then hooked onto Artie after he was denied by Tina, only to take his v-card. Seriously, Glee? Wow. That was a little unexpected, and frankly it came out of left field. I also thought it was strange for Artie to place blame on Brittany after the fact for having sex with him when it meant nothing to her. He knows she’s a slut – the whole school does. And he certainly could have said “no.” It just seems that if Artie wanted to lose his virginity to someone who cared, he should have done it with someone he had been dating for more than one week.

The direction in which Kurt’s character has headed is irritating to me. After coming out, it seems that the only value to his character, as his plotlines have shown, is that he’s gay. Of course a new boy comes to town, and all he can think about is flirting with him. And he sang a duet… with himself. Why? To sing as both his feminine and masculine parts. Give me a break. Gay people have more to them than their sexuality, and Glee – a self-professed show for the misfits – should embrace that rather than give the subject such a hackneyed, superficial treatment.

While I have wanted to see Mike Chang featured more, it seemed they didn’t showcase his abilities very well. “Sing” from A Chorus Line was a cute and fitting selection for Mike as he’s a dancer rather than a singer, but they barely gave him any choreography. I want to see that boy dance! Not to mention Tina can’t sing at all, so Mike should have picked someone else to complete his lyrical sentences if he really wanted to go to Breadsticks. I don’t know why they would cast Jenna Ushkowitz for any reason other than her race, since she can’t sing, she can’t dance, she can’t act, and she’s not particularly attractive.

“Lucky” was an underwhelming duet between Sam and Quinn, but the mellow pop song was a perfect fit for their less-than-powerful voices. I’m kind of confused about Sam as the new kid in town, and I haven’t formed an opinion yet on the fish-lipped actor Chord Overstreet (which is a ridiculous name). I do, however, know that Quinn needs to keep her legs closed. Girl just had a baby!

I won’t talk about the duets between Finn and Rachel because, frankly, I wasn’t paying attention to them. The two have gotten so overexposed that I’m tired of their characters, hearing them sing, their storylines – the whole thing.

Finally, I just have to thank the show for selecting the “Happy Days Are Here Again/Get Happy” duet. I had never heard the arrangement of the two songs as a duet before, and I instantly fell in love. I immediately tracked down the original with Barbra Streisand and Judy Garland on the latter’s television show from 1963 and have been replaying constantly since. Lea Michele and Chris Colfer sang a sweet rendition, which I could enjoy if I closed my eyes – yes, I’m talking about your nasty faces, Lea. The duet was a lovely way to end the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!